A 6-year-old whose intestines were partially sucked out from a swimming pool drain last year has died. Abigail Taylor died Thursday night in a Nebraska hospital with her parents, Scott and Katey, by her side.
Abigail was injured on June 29 when she sat on a pool drain at the Minneapolis Golf Club in St. Louis Park and its powerful suction ripped out part of her intestinal tract. She had small bowel, liver and pancreas transplants at the University of Nebraska Medical Center in December but suffered complications. The child’s injury led to federal legislation to make pools safer.
After Abigail’s injury, her parents campaigned for legislation to ban the manufacture, sale, or distribution of drain covers that do not meet anti-entrapment safety standards and in December Congress approved the legislation. Lawmakers in Minnesota are also considering some new pool safety regulations.
The Taylor’s brought a lawsuit against the golf club and the company that manufactured the pool drain, Sta-Rite Industries which is owned by Pentair of Golden Valley, in November.